Saturday, June 17, 2006

My (almost) alcohol- and meat-free week
One of the occupational hazards of a hausfrau is that there's never any reason to refuse a drink. A glass of wine with lunch? A couple beers on Sunday night? Aperitifs with your girlfriends three nights in a row? Why not?

So I decided, after a particularly boozy Sunday in which I consumed a beer, a mojito and several glasses of wine, that I needed to give it a rest. I resolved to abstain from booze and, for good measure, meat for 7 days.

All proud and full of optimism, I told my yoga teacher about my undertaking on the first day. "Oh, are you cutting out coffee and dairy too?" she responded, obviously unimpressed. Yes, she is sadistic.

That was six days ago, and today I fell off the wagon. It's shameful, I know.

And I had been so good! I met some friends on Monday at a beer garden and just ordered a salad and sparkling juice. Christoph and I went bar hopping on Thursday and I drank nothing but water. Last night we went out to the Caliente festival, a big street party where every other stand was selling rum drinks and shish kabobs, and I consoled myself with a couple of sweet crepes.

I resisted through all that but finally caved in at home over a simple meal of cheese, bread, insalata caprese and fresh apricots. Admiring the lovely lunch I'd put together, I thought to myself, when did a nice glass of white wine ever kill anybody? The next thing I knew I had a cork screw in my hand and it was all over.

What can I say? Did I mention it's been really hot here all week? This weather can sure make a gal thirsty!

I'm happy to report that the lack of meat has been no problem. I've been cooking up a vegetarian storm - potato fritatta, baked peppers, onions and tomatoes stuffed with bread crumbs and other yummies. Tonight we're making baked trout and marinated zucchini - the first seafood of the week! My meat-and-potatoes husband has been a trooper.

But on the liquid front, the biggest challenge as I see it, is the lack of alternative beverages. I don't drink Coke or other sugary drinks. I only crave juice and coffee in the morning. It's too hot for tea. Some non-sweetened iced tea would be nice, but doesn't exist here as far as I can tell. Non-alcoholic beer just seems desperate.

So that leaves water. It's been a very watery week. I was feeling very deprived. This is important because should I ever get pregnant, I'll have nine MONTHS of this. How does anyone do it???

2 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Jul said...

You're a brave, brave woman.

 
At 5:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A & C,
Shannon and I stumbled across this quite by accident, but we are thrilled about your journey. We are sailing at Tahoe now with Mitchell at the helm, enjoying the summertime as much as you. We love your writing, although it seems rather obsessed with people "peeing," as Mitchell would put it. I hope you manage a side trip to Brussels: http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Belgium/Brussels/Brussels/Brussels_City/photo346548.htm
Cheers and good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker